Our Amazing Brain
Did you know the following interesting details about human brain?
- It weighs 1400 grams (3 pounds). The weight is not very important. Einstein’s brain was lower than the average. It was only 1230 grams (2.71 pounds).
- 75% of it is made up of water.
- There are 100 billion neurons in our brains. (15 times bigger than total population on earth now -2014).
- The neurons establish 1000 trillion connections (synapses).
- In our brains there are 100 billion glial cells which protect neurons covering them. The glial cells are also inter-connected.
- A neuron can send 200 electrical signals (impulses) in a second.
- Neural impulses have a velocity of 200 kilometers per second (125 Miles per second).
- The total length of neurons is about 780 thousand kilometers ( 485 miles).
- Our brain uses 15% of blood in our body.
- 25% of oxygen taken is consumed by the brain.
- 20% of the total energy created in our body is consumed by our brain.
- Diameters of neurons are 4 to 100 microns.
- Some neurons are longer than 2 meters.
- The total length of the blood vessels in our brains is approximately 96 thousand kilometers (60 thousand miles).
- It is a false urban legend that human could use only the 10 percent of their brain capacities.
- Nevertheless in our brains every cell is active, because unused cells can not live long in our brains.